This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.
Tel: 0800 358 3601

What do I need to know before I apply?

Our online application should take no longer than 30 minutes to complete - as long as you have all the relevant information with you.

Giving us the most accurate information you can will help avoid delays with your claim. Your answers will help us get the information we need (from organisations such as the police and health authorities) to decide your case.

We understand that going over these details can be upsetting. We will therefore only ask for information we need to assess your application.

Do I have to finish the application in one go?

When you start your application, you will be asked to register and then log in before continuing. This also means you don't have to finish the application in one go - as you complete the application it is saved automatically, stored securely and available for 60 days. (They will be deleted after this time.)

What information do I need with me before I start?

You will need the following:

  • a note of contact details for any medical practitioner who has provided related treatment
  • the unique police ref number
  • the date of any court case
  • the name of the offender, if known

Please contact the police if you are not sure what your unique police reference number is. This number is sometimes called a Crime Reference Number.

You may find it useful to read the Can I apply? section of our website, which will help you find out if you are likely to be eligible for compensation, before you start.

Ready to start?

Please wait a few seconds on each page before clicking 'Next' - this ensures the pages have had time to load any supplementary questions.

Start my application

What if I want to finish an application I started earlier?

If you've already registered and want to complete an application, you need to log in.

Log in to my account

What if I'm a representative and manage multiple applications?

To access the applications you are managing, you need to log in or register, if you don't already have an account.

Once you log in, the applications you are managing will be displayed in a list; select the relevant one to continue completing it.

Log in to my account
Register a new account

Need any other help?

The following publications explain more about applying for compensation, and the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme itself:
Guide to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme
Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme 2008

You can also get free confidential support from Victim Support (England and Wales) / Victim Support (Scotland), the national charity that helps people affected by crime.

Telephone helpline Telephone helpline 0800 358 3601

8.30am to 8pm, Mondays to Fridays / 9am to 1pm Saturdays