Who we are
Who we are and where we come from.
- Founded in 1854 as part of the Board of Trade, now a Trading Fund within the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
- One of the world’s leading weather forecast centres.
- World leader in climate-change research.
- Annual turnover of more than £170 million a year.
- Cutting-edge researcher of science of weather.
What we do
A list of just some of the things we do at the Met Office.
- Provide the National Severe Weather Warning Service and plays a central role in the Flood Forecasting Centre for England and Wales.
- Key advisors to United Kingdom and world governments on climate change, including the Nobel Prize winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
- One of two World Area Forecast Centres for civil aviation.
- Provides weather information for the government, military, public and business.
- Commercial customers include: transport, utilities, media, health, agriculture, insurance, telecoms, retail, manufacturing, construction.
You can find out more information in the About us area of the website.
Images on this website are for use of the Met Office only, please do not download. If you require images please contact the Press Office.