The importance of culture, leisure and sport in addressing issues such as social inclusion, health and crime is becoming increasingly apparent. Government Offices work with a range of regional and local partners to identify where links can be made with other government programmes at local level.
More information on the national picture
We aim to promote the Department’s strategic priorities and the
cultural agenda for the South East throughout the region.
Our key areas of work include:
- promoting the contribution that culture and sporting activity can make
to improving the quality of everyone's lives through improving health to
strengthening communities by;
- encouraging the inclusion of culture and sporting National Indicators
in Local Area Agreements to encourage take up of cultural and sporting
- developing the LAA toolkit to assist Local Authorities in embedding
culture and sport into the Local Area Agreements
- communicating the DCMS agenda to the regional cultural agencies, which
the Department funds, and encouraging their involvement with the Government
Office for the South East and the South East England Development Agency -
as well as with local authorities and the wider community
- helping to maximise the contribution of the cultural sectors to the
Government’s agenda in the region through organising the regional
- ensuring the cultural and sporting agenda is reflected in regional
strategies through working with cultural agencies and South East England
- supporting Local Authorities with their goals to improve the cultural
sectors profile and contribution in local communities.
The Culture Team work in partnership with: