July 2007/23 (web only)
Report on outcomes
This report is for information only
Review of the teaching funding method
Outcomes of second consultation on changes to the method from 2008-09
This document sets out the decisions we have made following the consultation announced in HEFCE 2007/02. It also summarises the responses we received to the consultation.
|To:||Heads of HEFCE-funded higher education institutions
Heads of HEFCE-funded further education colleges
Heads of universities in Northern Ireland
|Of interest to those responsible for:||Finance, planning|
|Publication date:||July 2007|
1. We are reviewing the way that we allocate funding for teaching in order to ensure that it remains fit for purpose in a changing higher education environment. This document sets out the decisions made following our second consultation announced in HEFCE 2007/02, 'Review of the teaching funding method: second consultation on changes to the method'. Annex A provides an analysis of consultation responses.
2. The consultation received a very positive response, with almost all of the proposals achieving at least 70 per cent agreement. Following the consultation, we have made the following decisions:
- To introduce targeted allocations to contribute towards the additional costs of foundation degrees, accelerated and intensive courses, old and historic buildings and part-time study.
- To support flexible study patterns by counting, for funding purposes, the modules completed by students that complete less than their initial study intentions for the year.
- To work with the sector to use data from the Transparent Approach to Costing for Teaching, known as TRAC(T), to understand the total cost of sustainable teaching.
3. Changes to the teaching funding method agreed as a result of this consultation will be implemented in 2008-09 and 2009-10.
4. No action is required.