|To:||Heads of HEFCE-funded higher education institutions
Heads of human resource management
|Of interest to those responsible for:||People management, Strategic development, Governance, Planning|
|Publication date:||November 2004|
Tracy Allan, HEFCE
Alison Johns, HEFCE
Peter Deer, Universities Personnel Association
People management self-assessment tool
This consultation is now complete. The self-assessment tool is available for download in Word format.
1. This document seeks views on the use of a self-assessment tool for people management in higher education, developed by the Universities Personnel Association (UPA) and the Standing Conference of Principals' (SCOP) Personnel Network, for the mainstreaming of Rewarding and Developing Staff funding.
2. The self-assessment tool will enable institutions to assess their own progress in people management, while providing assurance to stakeholders, such as HEFCE, that they are supporting continuous improvement. It is a step towards moving the emphasis - in terms of ownership of assessment and regulation in this area - from HEFCE to institutions themselves.
3. Use of the self-assessment tool should also provide sufficient assurance to HEFCE to enable it to move remaining special funding under the Rewarding and Developing Staff in HE initiative into the core teaching grant. This will reduce the administrative burden for institutions.
4. Following consultation, we intend that the final version of the tool will be available for use from spring 2005.
5. Comments are invited on the operation of the self-assessment tool for the purposes of mainstreaming funds. Issues for consultation and a response form are at Annex A. Completed forms should be returned by e-mail to HEFCE, UPA and SCOP by Thursday 20 January 2005.