New in this section
The major considerations and challenges that face the workforce of the English HE sector.
Leadership, governance and management
Strategic aim and objectives
The challenges faced by higher education (HE) are increasing in complexity as the pace of change in society increases. Our aim is to work in partnership with the sector to ensure that the HE system is run in the most effective and efficient way to secure its own long-term sustainability and to maintain its world class reputation for excellence.
Full details of our aims and objectives are set out in the HEFCE strategic plan under ‘Sustaining a high quality HE sector’.
We pursue these aims primarily through:
- a risk-based accountability framework
- investment in the HE infrastructure
- the Leadership, Governance and Management (LGM) Fund
- supporting the development of LGM capacity, including the Leadership Foundation
- supporting the development of people and organisational culture in HEIs so that HE is representative of society as a whole.
Last updated 30 July 2009