Issued by HEFCE:
- HEFCE 2009/14 Guide for Members of Higher Education Governing Bodies in the UK
(With the Committee of University Chairs.) This guidance describes good governance practice in the HE sector.
- Self-assessment tool for people management in HEIs
This short guide provides senior managers and governors in HEIs with an introduction to the self-assessment tool.
- Risk management in higher education (HEFCE 2005/11)
A report on good practice for governors and risk managers.
- Circular letter 15/2003 - Severance payments for senior staff in higher education
This letter updates the guidance on severance payments to senior HEI staff originally issued in 1997.
- 'Effective financial management in higher education: A guide for governors, heads of institution and senior managers' (HEFCE 98/29).
Encourages good practice in effective financial management.
- Financial Memorandum between HEFCE and institutions (HEFCE 2008/19)
This sets out the terms and conditions for payment of HEFCE grants.
- 'Handbook for Members of Audit Committees in Higher Education Institutions: Committee of University Chairmen' (HEFCE 2008/06) (With the Committee of University Chairs.) Shares current good practice and encourages its appropriate adoption across the higher education sector.
Other web-sites of general interest:
(HEFCE is not responsible for the content of other web-sites)
- Committee of University Chairs
The publications part of this site includes the 'Report of the working party on the Effectiveness of University Governing Bodies' and the 'Review of University Governance 1997-2000'.
GuildHE (formerly SCOP) is a representative body for higher education colleges in England and Northern Ireland.
- Universities UK
UUK is the representative body for universities throughout the UK.
- HEFCE's publication scheme
This includes details of HEFCE's governance arrangements.
- European Corporate Governance Institute
- Leadership Foundation for Higher Education
- Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA)
- Independent Commission on Governance
Last updated 8 April 2009