This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.

Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Sunday, 29 November 2009

Claiming back tax or National Insurance at State Pension age

If you’ve overpaid tax or National Insurance through your job or pension or after completing a tax return you can claim it back. If you’re on a low income and have savings you may be able to claim back tax deducted from the savings interest before you received it.

Claiming back tax if you've had too much deducted from your pension

If you pay tax on a company or personal (including retirement annuity) pension or State Pension through PAYE (Pay As You Earn - the system used by employers and pension providers to deduct tax from your wages or pension) there are several reasons why you might end up accidentally paying too much.

Follow the link below to find out when you might have overpaid - and how to claim tax back if you have.

Reclaiming tax if you've overpaid through your job

Sometimes when you're working you can end up paying too much Income Tax, particularly if you change jobs often or have more than one job at the same time.

If you think you've paid too much tax you can take some simple steps to apply for a refund.

If you complete a tax return and think you’ve overpaid

If you have made an error, forgotten to tell your Tax Office something on your Self Assessment tax return or think you have paid too much or too little tax it's easy to let them know.

If they agree with your new figures they’ll make a repayment, or if as a result of the changes you owe additional tax, they will tell you how much is due.

Find out how to report an error or apply for a refund by following the link below.

Claiming back overpaid National Insurance contributions

When you reach State Pension age you no longer need to pay National Insurance contributions if you carry on working.

Also, up until this time, there's a limit to the amount of National Insurance contributions you need to pay each tax year. To find out more about how to claim the money back if you think you’ve overpaid follow the link below.

Getting tax-free interest on savings or claiming tax back

If you're on a low income and have savings with a bank or building society you could be paying tax on your interest when you don't need to.

If this is the case, you can register to have the interest paid tax-free. You can also claim a refund of any tax you've overpaid.

Additional links

Access keys