Help - General
Q. Where is the information that used to be on the Inland Revenue
and HM Customs and Excise websites
A. The majority of the information and services on the old websites can be accessed from the new HM Revenue & Customs site. You will also find links and menus throughout the site enabling you to jump directly to different areas of interest.
Q. Will my ‘favourites’ still work
A. We have built redirects for the majority of the pages on the old sites and you should be redirected to the new pages. In a few cases you may need to use the search functionality to find your pages. We would recommend you update your favourites.
Q. How can I move to a different area of the site?
A. Three tabs near the top of the page are links to the three main areas of this website. You will also find links and menus throughout the site enabling you to jump directly to different areas of interest.
Q. How can I get back to the homepage?
A. Clicking on our logo on the top-left of the screen from any page will take you back to our Homepage.
Q. I cannot find what I am looking for?
A. Use the search box at the top of every page. Just enter your query terms and click the button on the right. You can limit the types of information the search will return by using the advanced search functions.
Q. How do I increase the size of the text in this website?
A. Select View then Text Size in your browser to adjust the size of the text.
Q. How do I download content?
To download content which is in html format:
- Open the page you want and from the top menu bar choose ‘File’, ‘Save As’.
- A ‘Save web page’ window will open, save the file to your required location and choose ’save’.
To view content which is in PDF format:
- Click on the file link to start the process.
- A ‘File Download’ window will open, asking if you ‘would like to open the file;’ or ‘save it to your computer’. To view the file choose ‘open’.
- The file will open via a PDF reader (such as Adobe Reader).
To download a PDF:
- Right click on the link and select ‘Save Target as’.
- A ‘Save as’ window will open, save the file to your required location and choose ‘save’.
- A ‘Download complete’ window will open, choose ‘close’.
Q. How do I print pages?
A. Our website will render pages automatically in print friendly formats. This avoids you needing to print navigation aids and menus. To print you need to select the print option, usually found under the file men of your browser.
Q. I am new to the Internet, where can I get help?
A. A good place to start is the BBC WebWise site. UKonline centres have been set up to help everyone in the UK who wants to learn how to access to the internet.
Q. I still need help using this website. Who should I contact?
A. If you are still having problems or have a question that you want to ask, visit the feedback page to send us your query by email.