The RCUK Executive Group terms of reference are to:
Provide the forum through which chief executives collectively own and drive the strategic and operational activities undertaken to deliver the RCUK mission.
Specifically it will:
- develop the objectives for the RCUK partnership;
- agree the work plan and priorities for the RCUK partnership;
- ensure that appropriate resources are committed to RCUK priorities;
- ensure that information about RCUK is communicated effectively to Research Council staff and to external stakeholders;
- monitor the delivery of RCUK activities.
The remit of the RCUK Executive Group includes:
- development and implementation of RCUK strategies (e.g. science vision, external relations, knowledge transfer, science in society);
- development and communication of RCUK policy positions on issues of strategic importance;
- discussion of research priorities and opportunities, including development of inputs for the Spending Review process;
- development of the strategic direction and overall objectives of the RCUK Administration Strategy;
- monitoring the delivery of RCUK priorities against it's delivery plan, including outputs from major cross-Council research programmes.
The RCUK Executive Group will adopt a collegiate approach to decision making, working in the best interests of the UK science and engineering base. The establishment of Research Councils UK does not affect existing lines of accountability; each Chief Executive remains responsible for their own Council.