Change or cancel registration

How do I request a variation to my conditions of registration?

If you want to apply for a variation or the removal of a condition of your registration you will need to contact the National Business Unit on 08456 40 40 40. They will log and pass your details to the allocated inspector who will contact you. The inspector will let you know if it is a major or minor variation and if any additional information is needed in support of your application. You will then be sent an application to complete and return to National Business Unit with the required fee. The application form will confirm if the variation is a major or minor variation, and any additional information or documentation that is required to assess your application. Once your application has been processed by the inspector you will be advised as to the outcome of your request.


Paying the right variation fee:

Fees to be paid to vary or remove a condition of registration

Application for variation to conditions of registration
Description Major variation Minor variation
Children's homes £1,093 £99

Small children's home with no more than 3 places

1 child = 1 place

£596 £99
Residential family centre £911 £83

Small residential family centre with up to 3 places

1 family = 1 place

£497 £83
Independent fostering agency £1,093 £99
Voluntary adoption agency principal office or branch £759 £63
Small voluntary adoption agency principal office or branch employing less than 8 full-time equivalent staff £414 £69
Adoption support agency £759 £63
Small adoption support agency employing fewer than 3 staff £414 £69


How do I apply to cancel the registration?

If you want to cancel your registration you will need to give us three months notice of your intention to cancel, although in some circumstances we may be able to agree to a shorter period of time.

To apply to cancel your registration please download the application for cancellation of registration form, or contact the NBU and they will send you a form. You need to send this form to the Inspection Support Team at your regional office.

Your application will be forwarded on to the inspector who will handle your application to cancel.