About the Know Before You Go Campaign
What is the Know Before You Go Campaign?
‘Know Before You Go’ (KBYG) is an ongoing campaign with around 250 travel industry partners to help Brits to stay safe and healthy abroad.
The campaign was launched in 2001 to promote these key messages:
- get adequate travel insurance
- check the FCO’s country travel advice
- research your destination – know the local laws and customs
- visit your GP as soon as possible before travelling
- check your passport is in good condition and valid and you have all necessary visas
- make copies of important travel documents and/or store them online using a secure data storage site
- tell someone where you are going and leave emergency contact details with them
- take enough money and have access to emergency funds
Every year thousands of British travellers seriously regret not taking these simple steps.
If you’re planning a trip you should read the travellers checklist – it’s full of practical tips for having a safe and enjoyable time.
See our full list of campaign partners and learn about the benefits of becoming a Know Before You Go campaign partner.
Targeting different types of British travellers
Our research has shown that particular groups of travellers experience unique problems. We use mini-campaigns to reach these groups with our advice:
- independent travellers
- hen and stag parties
- package holiday makers
- gap year travellers
- sports travellers
- ethnic minorities
- elderly and retired travellers
For example, younger travellers are the least prepared group of UK travellers – that’s why we launched the dedicated GoGapYear.com website and work with specialist travel companies and universities to get our message to them.
Recent KBYG mini-campaigns include:
- Cricket World Cup 2007
- Rugby World Cup 2007
- Post Office campaign on getting insurance
- backpackers & independent travellers
- gap years
- visiting friends and relatives
- winter sports
- over 55's
KBYG publications include:
- Support for British nationals abroad: a guide
- Passport to extreme fun
- Going To live abroad
- Victims of crime abroad
- Lonely planet travel safe
- In prison abroad
- World Wise
All KBYG publications can be ordered on the travel advice publications page.
The Know Before You Go Campaign is a joint venture between the FCO and the travel industry to ensure that British travellers are better prepared when they go overseas. The FCO does not endorse any of the companies who are part of the KBYG campaign. We are not involved in the production or sale of the companies’ products, nor do we monitor their quality.
Who is part of the FCO’s successful campaign to promote travel advice to British travellers? Find out the benefits of partnership and how to apply.