- December 2008 - Defra Commissions Research on Noise and Environmental Impact Assessment.
- May 2008 - Noise Mapping England website re-launched
- Apri 2008 - Guidance for Local Authorities in England: Noise Act offence for licensed premises
- April 2008 - Revised the directions for permitted noise levels and an approval for devices measuring noise levels
We develop and promote initiatives to address noise and other statutory nuisance and manages research into noise. The Noise and Nuisance policy team is responsible for:
- developing policy on neighbourhood noise (other than in the workplace) and other statutory nuisance (eg dust and smells/odours, bonfire nuisance).
- developing policy on ambient noise (including a proposed National Ambient Noise Strategy - NANS);
- negotiating proposals for European legislation on environmental noise and implementing the legislation once it comes into force;
- managing noise research including noise mapping, assessing current levels and attitudes to environmental noise, a series of joint projects with the Department of Health on Noise and Health, projects connected with the proposed EC Directive on Environmental Noise and the proposed Ambient Noise Strategy and projects in response to noise and other nuisance issues;
- disseminating information on how to avoid causing annoyance to others and what to do if you have problem.
We also liaise closely with other Government departments and outside organisations.
Further information is available on our Help page about downloading or reading PDF documents.
Page last modified: 15 December 2008