This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.

Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Tuesday, 3 February 2009

MOT of adapted vehicles

Custom controls are not inspected as part of the standard MOT test, so it is essential to have your controls regularly maintained and checked. Take your vehicle to a reputable garage, your control manufacturer or an adaptation specialist to have the adaptations inspected when the vehicle is serviced.

A list of hand control and adaptation specialists is available from the Mobility Advice And Vehicle Information Service (MAVIS) but please note that inclusion on this list does not infer approval by the Department For Transport.

Modified vehicles

If your vehicle has been extensively adapted it may require a Single Vehicle Approval test (SVA). Any mopeds, motorcycles or 3-4 wheeled motorised bikes that are adapted or constructed for disabled use are however exempt from type approval, so do not need to be tested.

The SVA test is undertaken by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA). If you are in any doubt you should contact MAVIS for advice or your local SVA test station.

Additional links

Access keys