Jump to navigation

Drug laws and licensing

Domestic licences

Companies and individuals need to apply for Home Office domestic licences if they wish to produce, supply or possess controlled drugs.

What is a controlled drug?

  • The drugs that are controlled under the Misuse of Drugs legislation are grouped in schedules. Anyone intending to produce, supply or possess a controlled drug must apply for the  relevant licence.

Applying for a domestic licence

Licence Forms

  • Company licences
    Any company or other organisation intending to produce, supply or possess a controlled drug will need a Home Office domestic licence.
  • Doctors licences
    Doctors approved by the Department of Health to prescribe cocaine, diamorphine and dipipanone to addicts no longer need to apply for individual Home Office licences.  

    Please note: Doctors no longer require handwriting exemptions certificates to issue computer generated prescriptions. 


Contact details


Home Office websites