Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 5 November 2008

Improvements and adaptations to a council property

Many tenants may wish to carry out improvements or alterations to their home. There will also be times when the council needs to make improvements to a home or to adapt a home to suit the needs of a person or the people who live there.

What happens if you want to improve your home? Do you need to get permission?

All council tenants have the right to improve their home but they will need to check with the council if they need permission for the particular improvement they want to make. You will need written permission from your council before you have any major works carried out to your home, such as replacing or altering windows, doors or kitchen fittings, any work involving plumbing or mains electrics, redecorating the outside of your home or fitting an aerial or satellite dish. Your tenancy agreement will provide you with information and examples of what improvements and alterations need to be approved by your council before you can carry them out.

It is worth remembering that you may be able to claim compensation from your council for certain major improvements that you have paid for. This compensation can only be claimed when your tenancy ends.

The following links will let you enter details of where you live and then take you to your local authority website where you can find out more about renovation grants.

What if you need your home adapted to make it suitable for you or for someone who lives with you?

If you or someone who lives with you is disabled, and you need alterations to your property to make it easier for the disabled person to use any of the bathroom or kitchen facilities, you will need first to contact your local council. You should ask for the department which deals with applications for Disabled Facilities Grants. The council will then assess your needs and make recommendations about what adaptations would be suitable.

Disabled Facilities Grant is a mandatory entitlement to help fund the provision of adaptations to enable disabled people to live as comfortably and independently as possible in their homes. The eligible work is wide ranging, providing for access to the basic facilities within a home, including facilitating access to and within the property, such as widening doors and providing ramps, stair lifts and level access showers. The grant is subject to a means test and a maximum limit of £25,000 in England and £30,000 for Wales.

The council will also need to inspect your home to decide whether it is suitable for making the recommended adaptations. If it is not possible to adapt your home, your council may offer you a transfer to another property which is better suited to your needs.

The following links will let you enter details of where you live and then take you to your local authority website where you can find out more about adaptions to a council property.

Additional links

Access keys