Jump to content

Worker Registration Scheme

Abstract image of globe.

This section explains what the worker registration scheme is and who needs to register. It also offers advice for both workers and employers.

The Worker Registration Scheme was introduced in 2004 when new countries joined the European Union. It allows us to monitor where citizens of those countries (except Malta and Cyprus) are coming into our labour market, the type of work they are doing, and the impact this has on our economy.

You will normally have to register under the Worker Registration Scheme if you wish to work for an employer in the United Kingdom for more than one month and are a citizen of:

  • Czech Republic;
  • Estonia;
  • Hungary;
  • Latvia;
  • Lithuania;
  • Poland;
  • Slovakia; or
  • Slovenia.

There are some exceptions. See Who must register? for more information.

See Workers for information on how and when to apply, and what we will do.

Once you have been working in the United Kingdom legally for 12 months without a break in employment, you will no longer have to register on the Worker Registration Scheme. You can then obtain a residence permit confirming your right to live and work in the United Kingdom. See For European citizens for information on obtaining a residence permit.

Employers also have obligations under the Worker Registration Scheme.

Employment agencies should know the rules about the advice they can legally give to workers.

A number of organisations can provide help or useful information while you are working here. See Contact for more details.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What counts as 12 months ‘uninterrupted work’?

    'Uninterrupted work' means you must not be out of work for more than a total of 30 days in a 12 month period. You will need your registration certificates and other evidence of employment to show 12 months' uninterrupted employment.

Back to top