Departmental Report 2008
DIUS - a vision for customer-oriented policy delivery
In its first annual report, the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills (DIUS) has outlined a 'Blueprint for success' to ensure it can focus on engaging with customers' needs and requirements.
Launching the report, DIUS Secretary of State John Denham said:
Our mission is to improve the nation's skills at every level and make the UK the leading place to be an innovative business or organisation. To achieve this we must ensure customer focus is a thread running through every aspect of our policy development.
We are building an 'Innovation nation', unlocking the talents of all our people and creating the environment for new ideas to flourish. By working in a new way more closely with our delivery partners, the 'DIUS family', we can create a truly competitive economy.
The DIUS annual report commits to:
- Driving innovation forward in all sectors of the economy, helping high added value business flourish and solving key issues such as global warming and sustainable development.
- Rewarding the best research wherever it is found and developing a new Research Excellence Framework
- A Business and Employer Engagement Programme to improve interaction between publicly and privately funded skills and innovation activity.
- Encouraging universities to form links with schools and colleges and increasing adult participation in HE
- Continued expansion of the national employer training scheme 'Train to Gain' on which DIUS will be spending £1billion by 2011.
- Expansion of Apprenticeships and new funding for FE colleges to ensure the greatest rewards go to those who respond to learners and employers.
- A customer insight programme to capture, manage and share valuable customer experience as a business asset.
The DIUS 'Blueprint for success - investing in our future', set out in the report, is designed to ensure the Department meets the two PSA targets for which it is responsible under the current spending review period.
Supporting the achievement of the targets - to ensure a world class skills base by 2020 and promote world class science and innovation - are six Departmental Strategic Objectives that will define DIUS's activities until 2011.
DIUS's key achievements since its creation, its focus until 2011, how it will meet its objectives and core tables are set out in the report.
Annual Report Downloads
- Foreword (PDF 1,845KB)
- Chapter 1 - Introduction (PDF 417KB)
- Chapter 2 - The creation of DIUS (PDF 497KB)
- Chapter 3 - Our focus until 2011 (PDF 424KB)
- Chapter 4 - Organising our people (PDF 582KB)
- Chapter 5 - How we will meet our objectives (PDF 570KB)
- Chapter 6 - Key achievements (PDF 843KB)
- Annexes (PDF 599KB)