This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.
Essential maintenance work is being carried out on the UK Government Web Archive. This should not affect access, but in the event that it does, we will resolve it as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience this might cause.
Please email if you require any assistance.


This section aims to help you in using this website. If you need help or have a question not about this website, first try our extensive range of leaflets and booklets. We also have a large number of dedicated Helplines covering most topics.

For general questions you may have using this website and the transition from the Inland Revenue and HM Customs and Excise websites

for help in using HM Revenue & Customs Search

for technical questions you may have with this website

for users with a disability having problems accessing this website.

Specialist help is available on specific pages of our website.

  • Our online transactional services contain context specific help pages on screen
  • A glossary of terms is available for terms contained in content published to the former HM Customs and Excise website is available from the library section within our Practitioner Zone
  • Help on using the site content tools available on the former HM Customs and Excise website