Mission: The Mission of the United Nations Strategy is to strengthen the capacity of the United Nations to:
- anticipate, analyse and address the causes and symptoms of conflict
- mandate, lead and manage peace operations, drawing on effective and well trained military forces and civilian personnel and, where appropriate, in co-operation with regional and sub-regional organisations, and
- build long-term, sustainable peace.
The three headline aims of UN Strategy are:
1. To improve the UN system’s early action to prevent conflict through:
- Stronger UN inter-agency mechanisms to prevent conflict in the early stages, before violence erupts
- A more effective UN mediation and good offices function
- More effective UN early attention/early warning to potential conflicts through access to external analysis and expert networks
2. To improve the quality of UN peacekeeping in the following areas:
- Better led peace support operations
- More, better trained personnel (military, police and civilian), clearer operational guidelines and knowledge management mechanisms and better planning of complex missions through supporting DPKO's 5 year reform agenda and targeted secondments
3. To improve UN operational effectiveness in peacebuilding, including development of an effective Peacebuilding Commission and Peacebuilding Support Office, through:
- Increased UN inter-agency policy development and training on peacebuilding
- Greater UN access to external best practice and policy analysis on peacebuilding
- A more effective UN and international approach to cross-cutting issues including the Responsibility to Protect, sexual exploitation and abuse, gender, Children Affected by Armed Conflict
This Strategy will be closely co-ordinated with diplomatic and other action by the UK Government in pursuit of the same goals. Where appropriate, it will be co-ordinated with the activity of partners across the UN system, including other Member States.
For more information please e-mail UNemail@example.comFor more information about the UK at the UN, please visit the website of the UK Mission to the United Nations in New York..