The Government's legislative programme is supported by a team within the Economic and Domestic Affairs Secretariat.
What are their key responsibilities?
To support the Prime Minister and the Leader of the House of Commons in the overall determination and management of the legislative programme, and to support the four Parliamentary Business Managers in taking strategic decisions about its day to day management.
What is their role in the Legislative Programme?
- advising LP Committee on the content and handling of the programme
- drafting the Queen's Speech for the opening of Parliament
- managing the legislative programme on a daily basis (tracking Bills and liaising closely with Parliamentary Counsel, Government Whips, Bill Teams, Private Offices, No. 10; reporting back to LP Committee as necessary)
- helping Departments plan and deliver their legislative commitments
- providing advice to the Business Managers and Departments on Parliamentary procedure.