RCUK exists to help the Research Councils to work together more effectively. The RCUK Delivery Plan sets out the Research Councils priorities for working together and adding value to individual Research Council activities by:
- enabling dialogue about research priorities, facilitating an open and collective approach to investing in multidisciplinary research and training;
- making it easier for Councils and external stakeholders to work together, promoting dialogue, collaboration and partnership;
- articulating coherently the activities, views and opinions of the Research Councils to increase their collective visibility and policy influence;
- working jointly with the academic community and other funders to provide more effective and efficient services for the research community, reducing the level of bureaucracy on researchers and university administrators;
- improving Councils' operational performance by sharing best practice and making efficiency gains to release more Science Budget resources for research
Each of the Research Councils and RCUK report the progress on delivering their objectives and the achievement of milestones and targets quarterly to the OSI. In addition, each Research Council publishes an Annual Delivery Plan Report covering progress against the relevant milestones and targets in its delivery plan and scorecard. The latest RCUK Delivery Plan Annual Report can be accessed here.