Inspecting initial teacher education
- all accredited providers of initial teacher education (ITE) leading to qualified teacher status (QTS)
- publicly funded training of further education teachers validated by higher education institutions
- employment-based initial teacher training providers
- new providers in their second year of operation
- providers judged to be inadequate and/or non-compliant with the Secretary of State’s requirements for initial teacher education (re-inspections undertaken in the following inspection year)
- Teach First (as one inspection of all provision across the regions and contracted providers).
Inspectors will base their judgements on trainees’ results and how effective the provision is in securing those results. They will include specific areas of training that are national priorities. Inspectors use a framework to guide them through inspection.
Our single ITE inspection framework Framework for the inspection of initial teacher education 2008–11 outlines the purpose, processes and procedures used for the ITE inspections carried out within the academic years 2008 to 2011.
The Framework is complemented by our guidance for inspectors - The inspection of initial teacher education 2008–2011 and grade criteria.
Providers are also inspected against the relevant requirements and standards set out in Professional standards for Qualified Teacher Status and Requirements for ITT, published by the Training and Development Agency for Schools, and/or New professional standards for teacher/tutor/ trainer education in the lifelong learning sector, published by LifeLong Learning UK, as appropriate.