/ About the Department / Ministers
and their responsibilities
DTI Ministerial team
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Employment Relations and
Responsible for Ensuring Fair Markets
- Gerry Sutcliffe, who became MP for Bradford South in 1994, was
previously appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for
Employment Relations, Competition and Consumers on 13 June 2003.
- He was formerly a Government Whip and Vice-Chamberlain of Her
Majesty's Household (2001-2003), and Assistant Government Whip
(between 1999 and 2001), before taking up his Ministerial post at
the Department of Trade & Industry.
- Gerry Sutcliffe served as Parliamentary Private Secretary
(PPS) to Harriet Harman when she was Secretary of State for Social
Security (1997-1998). He also served as Stephen Byers' PPS in his
roles as Chief Secretary to the Treasury (July - December 1998)
and Secretary of State for Trade & Industry (1998- 2001).
- Mr Sutcliffe was educated at the Cardinal Hinsley Grammar
School, Bradford; and Bradford Ilkley Community College.
- Before entering Parliament, Mr Sutcliffe was a trade union
officer for the print union GPMU (Graphical, Paper and Media
- He has been a Bradford Councillor since 1982, and was leader
of Bradford Council from 1992 -1994.
- Born on 13 May 1953 in Salford, Manchester, Mr Sutcliffe is
married with 3 children.
- A keen supporter of Manchester United and Bradford City
football clubs, Gerry Sutcliffe also follows the progress of
Bradford Bulls Rugby Team, and has previously been chair and
captain of the Parliamentary football team. His political
interests include Employment Relations issues, the economy, the
role of the United Nations and Regional Government.
- In his spare time Gerry Sutcliffe also enjoys music, sport and
relaxing with his children and grandchildren.