Main navigation

Latest News

Putting things right

The complaints procedure for the Cabinet Office

The Cabinet Office aims to:

What to do if you have a complaint

You can complain about the Cabinet Office or a member of Cabinet Office staff in writing, by fax, by email, by phone or in person. (You must make an appointment to make a complaint in person.)

If you know the part of the Department or the name or title of the member of staff that your complaint relates to, you should make your complaint direct to them. It will be helpful if you refer to this complaints procedure when you make your complaint.

If you are not sure who to direct your complaint to, see the Contact us page.

What happens next

If you complain in person or by phone, we will try to resolve your complaint immediately. If you complain in writing, by fax or by email, we will aim to respond promptly, and will always respond within 15 days. If this is not possible, we will explain why and let you know how long it will take.

If you are not happy with the initial response you receive, you should contact us again and ask for your complaint to be passed to a more senior member of staff.

Following our second response, if you are still not satisfied, you can ask for your complaint to be referred to the Managing Director of the Cabinet Office.

If you remain unhappy with the Department’s actions, you may ask a Member of Parliament to request that the independent Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration (the Ombudsman) investigates your complaint or the way it has been handled.