Objective 1 - A secure United Kingdom within a safer and more peaceful world
1. Reduce the threat to the UK from international terrorism and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. Reduce international crime, drugs and people-trafficking affecting the UK, measured by Whitehall-wide targets. Contribute to the reduction of opium production in Afghanistan, with poppy cultivation reduced by 70% within 5 years and elimination within 10 years.
2. Reduce tension in South Asia, the Middle East, Balkans and elsewhere through action with our international partners, paying particular attention to regions at risk from nuclear confrontation.
3. Strengthen European security through an enlarged and modernised NATO, an effective EU crisis management capacity and enhanced European defence capabilities. JOINT TARGET WITH MOD
4. Improve effectiveness of the UK contribution to conflict prevention and management as demonstrated by a reduction in the number of people whose lives are affected by violent conflict and a reduction in potential sources of future conflict, where the UK can make a significant impact. JOINT TARGET WITH MOD AND DFID
Objective 2 - Enhanced competitiveness of companies in the UK through overseas sales and investments; and a continuing high level of quality foreign direct investment. (Through British Trade International.)
5. Deliver measurable improvement in the business performance of Trade Partners UK’s customers; and maintain the UK as the prime location in the EU for foreign direct investment. JOINT TARGET WITH DTI
Objective 3 - Increased prosperity and a better quality of life in the UK and worldwide, through effective economic and political governance globally
6. Secure agreement by 2005 to a significant reduction in trade barriers leading to improved trading opportunities for the UK and developing countries. JOINT TARGET WITH DTI AND DFID
7. Make globalisation work for sustainable development in the UK and internationally (and particularly in Africa) by promoting democracy and the rule of law, good economic and environmental governance, and security of long-term energy supply, measured by specific underlying targets.
Objective 4 - A strong role for the UK in a strong Europe, responsive to people's needs
8. A modern, reformed, and enlarged EU, as measured by progress towards UK policy priorities including economic liberalisation, CAP reform, justice and home affairs, an effective CFSP, and the 2004 IGC; and greater support for Europe in the UK.
Objective 5 - International decisions and actions which advance UK objectives and interests. Authoritative advice and support to the whole of Government on international issues. Positive foreign perceptions of the UK and the Government's policies
9. Effective advice on, support for, and delivery of Government objectives across the full range of the UK's international interests through a viable and responsive network of diplomatic Posts. Increased influence overseas and improved perceptions of UK and HMG policies, as measured by opinion polls.
Objective 6 - High quality consular services to British nationals abroad. Effective regulation of entry to, and settlement in, the UK in the interests of sustainable growth and social inclusion. (Entry clearance through UKvisas.)
10. Effective and efficient consular and entry clearance services, as measured by specific underlying targets.
Objective 7 - Secure and well-governed British overseas territories enjoying sustainable development and growing prosperity
11. Improvement in the governance, environment and security of the overseas territories, and more diversified economic development, as measured by implementation of the commitments in the 1999 White Paper.