Regulating early years and childcare; applying to be a provider
Reassuring parents and carers that the early years and childcare provision they choose for their children is suitable is very important.
To do this, we register and inspect those who provide early years provision and childcare for children aged from birth up to their 18th birthday. For information about inspection, go to the Inspecting early years and childcare pages on the left.
We register providers on two registers.
- The Early Years Register
- The Childcare Register
A prospective provider can apply to join one register or both registers at the same time; or they can apply to the two registers separately if they wish. Deciding which register to apply to depends on:
- the ages of the children that will be cared for
- the chosen premises
- the type of care that they will be providing
- For further information about complaints go to the How to complain and Childcare complaints commitment pages on the left.
- For further information about our work in compliance, investigation and enforcement, go to the Compliance, investigation and enforcement page.
- For further information about registration requirements see Registering as an early years and childcare provider and Registering as a childminder.
- For information can be found in Information for parents and carers using childcare services.