Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Monday, 27 June 2011

Types of care home

There are hundreds of different care homes in the UK offering many different types of services. Some offer full-time nursing care, others support people with a specific disability or medical need.

Care homes can be run by local councils, private businesses or not-for-profit companies.

Your local council can help you find a care home to meet your needs, or the Commission for Social Care Inspection (CSCI) has a list of all registered care homes in England.

Charities that offer support for particular disabilities can be very helpful and may have lists of care homes that offer specialised support and experienced staff.

An important consideration when you are choosing a care home is whether you need one that offers nursing as well as personal care.

Care homes

You may choose to go into a care home (sometimes called residential home) if you can no longer manage in your own home. Services you should expect at a care home include:

  • meals and accommodation
  • help with personal care like bathing and dressing
  • staff available 24 hours a day
  • physical and emotional care
  • care through short illnesses

Care homes with nursing

If you have a disability or illness that means you need nursing care on a frequent basis then a care home with nursing (sometimes called a nursing home) might be more appropriate. A qualified nurse will be on duty 24 hours a day.

You have the right to choose your care home but it must meet your needs, so if you need a care home with nursing - you may not be able to move into one that cannot provide nursing care.

You may qualify for full NHS funding of your care home. You will have to meet your health authority's criteria. You can ask them for a copy of these.

Specialist care homes

You may choose to move into a care home that provides specialist care for your particular disability or needs. This might include specially trained staff or adapted facilities.

Your local council should have lists of specialist care homes or ones that might offer services appropriate to your needs. Charities can also be very helpful in finding the right care home.

Was this information useful?

How useful did you find this information?

500 character limit
Your Privacy Opens new window

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Access keys