5. Corrections

Follow these steps to correct your tax return online.

  1. Log in to your HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) online account.

  2. Go to the ‘At a glance’ page.

  3. Choose ‘Tax return options’.

  4. Select the tax year for the return you want to amend.

  5. Go into the tax return, make the corrections and file it again.

You can also send HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) the corrected pages of your paper tax return. Mark them ‘amendment’.


The deadline for corrections is usually 12 months after the tax return deadline (eg 31 January).

If you’ve missed this deadline, write to HMRC and:

  • confirm the tax year you’re correcting
  • explain why you’ve paid too much tax
  • include proof you’ve paid the tax in that year
  • confirm how you want the refund

The deadline for writing to HMRC is 4 years after the end of the tax year you’re correcting.


HMRC will let you know how much your refund is (including interest). Refunds can be:

  • paid electronically into your bank account
  • paid by cheque
  • deducted from your next Self Assessment tax bill - if it’s less than £10 or a tax bill is due shortly

Refunds usually take 4 weeks, or 6 weeks if you’re making paper corrections.

If you owe more tax

HMRC will let you know how much tax you owe (including interest) and when to pay them.

Where to send your corrections

Check your Self Assessment paperwork for the address or send your corrections to the address for general Self Assessment enquiries.

Contact the Self Assessment helpline if you have any questions.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.