2. Leasehold Valuation Tribunal: changes to your lease

As a leaseholder, you can appeal to the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal if you disagree with changes to your lease, including:

  • service charges
  • extending a lease
  • buying the freehold
  • insuring the building

The tribunal is independent and can decide if a charge is too high or unreasonable, or if changes to the lease are fair.

Appeal to the tribunal

To apply to the tribunal, fill in the appropriate application form and send it to your local rent assessment panel.

Cost of appealing to the tribunal

You may have to pay a fee if:

  • you’re appealing against a service or administration charge
  • the case goes to a hearing
Service or administration charge - amount in dispute Tribunal fee
£500 or less £50
£500 to £1,000 £70
£1,000 to £5,000 £100
£5,000 to £15,000 £200
£15,000 or more £350

Taking the case to a hearing costs £150.

You can pay by postal order or cheque (payable to ‘HM Courts & Tribunals Service’).

Help paying costs

If you’re on benefits, like Income Support, you can ask for help with your fees. Complete the ‘Application for a fee remission’ form.

Get help and advice

You can get help and advice from the Leasehold Advisory Service or the Residential Property Tribunal Service.

Leasehold Advisory Service
Online enquiry form
020 7383 9800

Residential Property Tribunal Service
0845 600 3178
Find out about call charges

What happens after you send your appeal

The tribunal may ask for:

  • more information - eg a copy of the lease
  • permission to inspect the property

You may have to go to a hearing with the freeholder.

If there isn’t a hearing, the tribunal will ask you to send written evidence.

The tribunal will send you a letter giving its decision (usually within 6 weeks of any hearing).

If you disagree with the tribunal’s decision

You may be able to appeal against the decision to a higher tribunal, called the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber).

To do this, you have to ask the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal for permission to appeal. Complete the ‘Application to the leasehold valuation tribunal for permission to appeal a decision of the tribunal to the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber)’ form.

You must send this form to your local rent assessment panel within 21 days of getting its decision.

Find out more about appealing to the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber).

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.