1. Disputes about rent

You may be able to appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal if you’re a private tenant in England and think your rent is too high.

The tribunal is independent, and can change the rent if it’s unfair.

You can usually appeal when you get a letter from your landlord about a rent increase.

The tribunal can keep the rent at the same level or lower it. In most cases they also have the power to increase the rent.

Time limits for appealing to the tribunal

There are deadlines for appealing to the tribunal, depending on the type of tenancy:

  • assured or assured shorthold tenancy - before the new rent is due to start
  • regulated tenancy - within 28 days of the rent being decided by the rent officer

Check your tenancy agreement or use Shelter’s tenancy checker if you’re not sure what type of tenancy you have.

Appeal to the tribunal

To appeal to the tribunal, fill in the application form for your type of tenancy:

Send the form to your local regional office.

Regulated tenancies

Write to the Valuation Office Agency if you have a regulated or ‘protected’ tenancy.

Valuation Office Agency
Wycliffe House
Green Lane

They will look at your case and forward it to the regional tribunal office for your area.

Get help and advice

Contact Shelter or the Residential Property Tribunal for help and advice.

0808 800 4444
Find out about call charges

Residential Property Tribunal
Contact your nearest regional office.

How the tribunal makes its decision

The tribunal may ask for:

  • more information - eg what you think the rent should be and why
  • permission to inspect the property

You may have to go to a hearing, with your landlord, to tell the tribunal why you think the rent is too high.

If you and your landlord agree, the tribunal can decide on the case without a hearing and using written evidence.

The tribunal’s decision

The tribunal will send its decision in writing, saying:

  • what the rent should be
  • the date the rent is payable from
  • the reasons for its decision

If you disagree with the tribunal’s decision

You can only challenge the tribunal’s decision by appealing to the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber).