The UK excels in research, development and innovation, and innovative companies are an important contributor to economic growth. We want to use our talent to make the UK the best place in the world to run an innovative business or service.
- protecting the £4.6 billion per annum funding for science and research programmes in cash terms during the spending review period
- trying to be smarter and more strategic in how we procure goods, works and services to encourage innovation
- helping researchers, developers, innovators and businesses bring together specific knowledge, skills, technical resources and financial capital
- getting business to work more closely with universities and research institutions to create more opportunities to commercialise their research
- making taxpayer-funded research accessible and free of charge to use through open access
- helping England’s 26,000 most promising mid-sized businesses achieve growth - a 70% increase in turnover or employment, and funding business through the UK Innovation Fund
We published the Innovation and research strategy for growth on 8 December 2011. The main aim of the strategy is to support business research and development in areas where the UK excels.