This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.
In this section:
  • 'Your award as a single person' letter - what you need to do

'Your award as a single person' letter - what you need to do

You may have received a letter from the Tax Credit Office about your tax credits award as a single person. Find out what this means and what you need to do.

On this page:

What does the letter look like?

The letter will have the following heading:

'Notice requiring information or evidence'

Under this heading the letter will quote the relevant section or sections from the Tax Credits Act 2002.

The letter will also have a second heading, containing one or two years. For example:

'Your tax credits award for 2013-14 and 2012-13 as a single person'

The letter will show the following address:
Tax Credit Office
Benefits & Credits

Please be reassured that the letter is genuine.


Why have you been sent this letter?

The Tax Credit Office has selected your claim for checking, to make sure you get the right amount of tax credits. They want to make sure the information they hold about you is right.

The Tax Credit Office also wants you to know that you must tell them about:

  • any partner you may have
  • any change of circumstances that means you are now living with a partner


What you need to do if you get one of these letters

You will need to tell the Tax Credit Office why you claimed as a single person. You will also need to send certain information to help them check that the information they have about you is right. The letter will tell you exactly what you need to send.

If you have any questions, or you have difficulty providing the information, you can call the phone number given on the top of the letter.


More useful links

When to make a joint or single tax credits claim

Tax credits when a partner leaves or a new partner moves in