This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.

National Minimum Wage - Making a complaint online


I am a worker or ex-worker who has not received the minimum wage.

Experience has shown us that we are much more successful at investigating employers for non-payment of minimum wage when we have a complaint from a worker who is prepared to speak to the officer carrying out the investigation.

If you would like to make a complaint and provide us with your details so that an officer may contact you, please complete an online complaint form.

We will always make every effort to ensure that the details that you provide us with are kept confidential.

We do understand, however, that you may not feel comfortable in providing your personal details. We would still like you to make a complaint about your employer if you think that you are not being paid the minimum wage.

Please complete an online complaint form which does not ask you for your personal details.


Important Information about Employment Tribunals

If you think you may want to take your own case, you may need to act quickly. You have just three months from the last time you were paid below NMW to make a claim to an Employment Tribunal.

Most people will have to raise a grievance with their employer before they can complain to a tribunal. Where an employee raises a grievance within three months, the timescales for making a claim can be extended to six months.

You should seek advice on whether to take action yourself from an independent legal advisor, union or the Citizen’s Advice Bureau.

I am not a worker but I have information about an employer that is not paying the minimum wage

If you wish to make a complaint about an employer that is not paying the minimum wage, and you do not work for, or have not previously worked for, that employer, please complete an online complaint form.

Completion of personal details on this form is not compulsory. You should also be aware that, for Data Protection purposes, we will not be able to tell you anything about any investigation that we may choose to conduct into the employer.


National minimum wage electronic enquiries

HM Revenue & Customs and the Department of Trade and Industry are Data Controllers under the Data Protection Act. HM Revenue & Customs holds information for the purposes of taxes, social security contributions, tax credits, national minimum wage and certain other statutory functions as assigned by Parliament.

The information we hold may be used for any of HM Revenue & Customs' functions.

We may get information about you from others or we may give information to them. If we do, it will only be as the law permits, to:

  • enforce the national minimum wage
  • check accuracy of information
  • prevent or detect crime
  • protect public funds

We may check information we receive about you with what is already in our records. This can include information provided by you as well as by others such as other government departments and agencies and overseas tax authorities. We will not give information about you to anyone outside HM Revenue & Customs unless the law permits us to do so.

For further information, see the complete Privacy Statement.