This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.

Certificate of residence - new online form available

If you're resident in the UK and have income and/or gains in another country you may be able to claim tax relief or exemption so that you don’t end up paying tax twice. For some countries you'll need to provide a letter - called a 'certificate of residence' - to confirm you were resident in the UK for a particular period.

Checking if you need a certificate of residence

If you're claiming relief or exemption (from foreign tax) for income and/or gains received abroad, for some countries you'll need to complete a claim form but for others you'll have to send a certificate of residence. You can check which applies to you by reading the country-specific section of HM Revenue & Custom's (HMRC) double taxation manual.

Go to Double Taxation Manual

Applying for a certificate of residence

If you need to get a certificate of residence from HMRC, you or your tax agent or adviser can apply online by following the link below.

Apply for a certificate of residence