DIUS Departmental Board
The Board provides the strategic leadership of the Department. This involves setting the Department's strategy and allocating resources, agreeing business plans and monitoring performance, enhancing Departmental capability and setting standards, values and controls.
The Board is chaired by the Permanent Secretary and meets on a monthly basis.
There are 3 non-Executive Directors on the Board to provide a non-Departmental perspective in decision-making. They provide an independent judgment on issues of strategy, planning, performance, and standards of conduct. Although they advise and question, they don't make executive decisions, and they remain independent of management, and free from any other relationships within government that might interfere with their role.
The Board's aims are to
- Ensure the organisation delivers the Strategic Priorities and service delivery targets
- Ensure effective allocation and management of resources, in line with the Strategic Priorities
- Communicate DIUS' purpose, Strategic Priorities and vision to staff and other stakeholders
- Monitor and improve Departmental performance internally and across Whitehall
- Protect and enhance DIUS' reputation for professionalism, innovation, effectiveness, integrity and efficiency
DIUS executive and non-executive board members are listed below.
Kristina Murrin stood down from her position as a non-executive director on the Board on 5 January 2009 due to other work committments.
Executive Board Members
- Permanent Secretary
- Ian Watmore
- Government Chief Scientific Adviser and Head of Government Office for Science
- Prof John Beddington
- Director General, Science and Research
- Prof Adrian Smith
- Director General, Higher Education
- Ruth Thompson
- Director General, Further Education and Skills
- Stephen Marston
- Director General, Finance and Corporate Services
- Bill Dickinson
- Director, Innovation and International
- David Evans
- Director, Strategy
- Zina Etheridge
- Director, Policy and Communications
- Alun Evans
- Director, Human Resources
- Shirley Pointer