Planning, building and the environment

England and Wales Legislation

There are a number of pieces of legislation that could apply to buildings. Below are the most relevant ones although, as there may well be others relevant to your situation, you are advised to take further advice to ensure you are fully informed. 

Building Regulations

The Building Act 1984 is the enabling Act under which the Building Regulations and Building (Approved Inspectors etc) Regulations have been made. They set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health for people in or about those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power is conserved and facilities are provided for people, including those with disabilities, to access and move around inside buildings.

The Party Wall etc Act 1996: explanatory booklet

Some kinds of work carried out to a property may not be controlled by the Building Regulations, but may be work which is covered by the The Party Wall etc Act 1996: explanatory booklet. This is a separate piece of legislation with different requirements to the Building Regulations. The Party Wall etc. Act makes provision in respect of party walls and excavation and construction in proximity to certain buildings or structures. There will be some instances where both the Party Wall etc. Act and the Building Regulations apply to the work being carried out.

Local authority charges

The Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 1998 enable local authorities in England and Wales to charge for carrying out their statutory building control functions relating to the Building Regulations.

Code for sustainable homes

The Code for Sustainable Homes is the national standard for the sustainable design and construction of new homes.

In this section

Related publications

My favourites