Part of: Domestic Policy Group
Head of Unit: Gareth Davies
Overall role of unit
Stategy Unit work with No 10 and other government departments to develop and design policy solutions to the strategic challenges facing the country.
- To take a cross-government perspective on the key issues facing the country
- To provide fresh insights building on high quality analysis, strong external networks and front line experience
- To develop strategic capability across Whitehall
Objectives for 2010/11
- Strategic Reviews: Deliver projects – either jointly with departments or directly for No 10. Provide advice / challenge to specialist reviews and other bodies within Government
- Spending Review: Work with HMT and departments to reduce spending in line with the values and principles of the Government.
- Policy advice: Work with the Economic & Domestic Policy Secretariat to brief No 10 on priority issues and offer advice on policy as required for Cabinet Committees. Provide support for the Cabinet Office and Cabinet Secretary.
- Strategy network: Strengthen strategic policy skills across Whitehall through a seminar programme, links with universities / think tanks and Strategy Units in other countries.
- Chloe Ross - Public Services
- Axel Heitmueller – Families & Chief Analyst
- Matt Robinson – Home Affairs
- Hugh Harris – Economy / Welfare
- Miatta Fahnbulleh – Decentralisation, Political Reform & Society
- Sophia Oliver – Development & Climate Change
- Halima Khan – Strategic Reviews
- Kate Marshall – Behavioural Insight Team