We're creating a single website for everything to do with BIS but, while we do that, you'll find information in three places. > Find what you're looking for
NOTICE TO EXPORTERS - 18/06 - 29 September 2006
The European Union have recently adopted Common Position and Regulation on Lebanon. As a consequence of the adoption of EU arms embargo on Lebanon a number of Open General Licences have been amended to remove Lebanon as an eligible destination.
1. The European Union adopted Council Common Position 2006/625/CFSP (O.J.L253, 19.9.2006) on 15th September 2006. The full range of measures are:-
2. Council Regulation (EC) 1412/2006 (O.J.L267, 27.9.2006) entered into force on 27th September 2006. This prohibits:-
a) the provision of technical assistance related to military activities and to the provision, manufacture, maintenance and use of arms and related materiel, directly or indirectly to any person, entity or body in, or for use in Lebanon;
b) the provision of financing or financial assistance related to military activities, for any sale, supply, transfer or export of arms and related materiel, or for any provision of related technical assistance, directly or indirectly to any person, entity or body in, or for use in Lebanon;
c) the participation, knowingly and intentionally, in activities the object or effect of which is to circumvent the prohibitions referred to above.
3. These prohibitions will not apply to the sale, supply, transfer or export of arms and related materiel or the provision of technical assistance, financing and financial assistance, brokering services and other services related to arms and related materiel provided that:-
but a licence must still be applied for in the normal way.
4. UK implementing legislation is currently being prepared and a further Notice advising of the details and entry into force will be published shortly.
5. As a consequence of the adoption of the embargo the Department of Trade and Industry has amended a number of Open General licences. Details below,
Lebanon has been removed from the coverage of the following licences
The amended licences will come into force on 2nd October 2006.
6. For further information on strategic export controls and coverage of all Open general Licences please contact the ECO.
7. This notice is for information purposes only and has no force in law. Please note that where legal advice is required exporters should make their own arrangements.
Export Control Organisation
Department of Trade and Industry
XNP Notice 18/06
29 September 2006