Joint Energy Security Of Supply Working Group (JESS)
In July 2001, the DTI and Ofgem agreed to set up this joint Working Group to assess risks to the UK's future gas and electricity supplies.
JESS published its last report on 13 December 2006. The Government is now reviewing the role of JESS and the future provision of forward-looking market information in the light of the recommendations in the 2006 Energy Review Report.
Terms of reference of the Group:
- To assess the available data relevant to security of supply, to identify the gaps in that data and develop appropriate indicators
- To monitor at a strategic level, over a timescale of at least seven years ahead:
a) The availability of supplies of gas
b) The availability of supplies of electricity and fuels used for electricity generation
c) The adequacy of generating capacity
d) The adequacy of the UK's gas and electricity infrastructure
- To assess whether appropriate market-based mechanisms are bringing forward timely investment to address any weaknesses in the supply chain that are anticipated
- To identify relevant policy issues and consider implications
- To report twice yearly to the Secretary of State and the Gas and Electricity Market Authority
The JESS working group report has been replaced by the Energy Markets Outlook project.